Skip to main content

Women in Horror Month: An Interview with Chris Marrs



An Interview with Chris Marrs

Chris Marrs is a Canadian writer whose short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies. She is also the author of the novellas Everything Leads Back to Alice and Wild Woman. In 2013, she co-edited Deep Cuts, an anthology to honor women in horror. Her work ranges from down-and-dirty horror to weird fiction.

---------------------------------------------

JG: So, let’s start things off with a little background. Tells us about yourself and your writing.

CM: First, let me say “Thanks, JG, for having me here!”

Let’s see… I recently left the West Coast behind and moved to Calgary with my daughter, our cat, and ferret. I am an active member of the Horror Writer’s Association. My fiction tends to be more character driven with a light lean towards the literary. Also, I prefer to write more psychological type horror. Although, I just finished a LitReactor course on the Choreography of Violence with John Skipp so who knows?


JG: Women in Horror Month celebrates the contributions of women to the world of dark fiction. When did you first know you wanted to be a writer, and, as part two of that, when did you know you wanted to write in the dark fiction arena?
 
CM: I grew up on the West Coast of British Columbia and from a young age knew I wanted to write stories for people. Along the way I discovered dance, painting, and acting so, in my teens, I tried those as well. Basically anything creative, I wanted to do it. Writing was always my first love, though. In 2008 I felt my kids were old enough for me to start exploring seriously writing instead of dabbling. To finish what I started and begin submitting. I’ve never been happier!

I knew dark fiction was my arena when all my stories, from the age of ten on, contained a dark element. I remember trying to write a “Serial Romance” for a couple Jr. High friends and in Episode Three a ghost appears and in Episode Four someone loses a leg.


JG: Where does your inspiration for stories come from? Your own fears? World events? Conversations?

CM: I find inspiration anywhere it presents itself. Usually my stories are not based on one thing but an amalgamation of things.


JG: You’ve previously attended writers retreats in haunted houses and hotels. Can you tell us which ones you participated in, and what they were like?

CM: I’ve participated in Rain Grave’s Haunted Mansion Year Two retreat that was a lot of fun. Lovely people, great food, and a surprisingly good amount of work accomplished. As for ghosts, there may have been one or two kicking around…

Also, I’ve been to the Stanley Hotel Writer’s Retreat hosted by RJ Cavender and Dark Regions Press twice. The hotel has a wonderful atmosphere, not too creepy but just creepy enough. Definitely things going on that make you go “hmmm”. The conversations in the bar at night are the best. So many great writers attend and there’s a lot to be learned from them.


JG: If someone wanted to get introduced to your work for the first time, what 3 stories would you pick (tell us where to find them, too!) that you feel best represent you as a writer, and why?

CM: Hmmm, I’d have to say “Paper and Pencil, Skin and Ink” (A DarkePhantastique), “A Chimera’s Tale” (The Library of the Dead), and Wild Woman because they showcase different aspects of my writing and growth.


JG: In addition to writing, you worked as a bartender. Did the people you met provide great characters for your stories?

CM: They did! You get to see the best and the worst of human nature, not to forget everything in between, while bartending. The best being the two brothers who’d take the time to do a four hour drive once a month to bring their ailing mother in for lunch. The worst being the idiots who decided they were going to pick a fight over anything. Oh, and full moon days. Those could bring in the craziest people. All character fodder, of course.

 
JG: Who are some of the women writing horror/dark fiction today that you think should be getting more recognition?

CM: Oh wow, there’s too many for me to name since right now there’s a lot of excellent women in the field. Off the top of my head, Rena Mason, Erinn Kemper, Angel McCoy, Eunice Magill, Mehitobel Wilson, Katie Cord, Roh Morgan, and Joan Francis Turner.

JG: Because this relates to Women in Horror Month, there has long been an ongoing debate that men and women write differently. Do find that there’s a difference?


CM: I would have to say for mass market fiction, unless you’re Anne Rice, then yes there is a difference. Women tend to be lumped more into Paranormal Romance than Horror. In the Independent or Small Press world, I find there’s really very little difference between the men and the woman. Both genders can write awesomely graphic horror, psychological horror, and literary horror equally. I’d also have to say this is more a reflection on the market rather than the talent.


JG: What words of advice you say to young girls or women who want to become genre fiction writers but haven’t gotten up the nerve to try their hand at it, or submit what they’ve written?

CM: To the young girls and women out there I say, “Go for it! You never know until you try!” Oh! And when submitting, always, always follow the guidelines. I would also suggest joining an organization like the HWA. Their mentor program is more than worth the membership fee.

JG: Lastly, tell us about some of the things you’ve got coming out in the near future, and what you’re working on beyond that.

CM: Right now, I’m working on wrapping up a novella with Gene O’Neill. I also have a story coming out in Rothco Press’s The Frankenstein Experiment anthology, which is an anthology of stories inspired by the Stanley Hotel Writer’s Retreat. Then it’s another novella due in September 2016 and, hopefully, I’ll be able to start my novel this year as well.

Again, thanks, JG!


###


Chris Marrs lives in Calgary, Alberta with her daughter, a cat, and a ferret. She has stories in A Darke Phantastique, The Library of the Dead, and Dark Discoveries (the Femme Fatale issue). Her first novella, Everything Leads Back to Alice came out in 2013 and her second, Wild Woman, in 2015. You can follow her on Twitter (@Chris_Marrs), friend her on Facebook , or drop her a message at: hauntedmarrs@hotmail.com.











Comments

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends Unseen

 Catherine Cavendish is the author of  several novels and novellas, including The Devil's Serenade, Dark Avenging Angel, Saving Grace Devine, and The Pendle Curse. Today she's here to talk about some rather unsettling imaginary friends. When you were growing up, did you have an imaginary friend? Did they seem real to you? Maybe sort-of-real. You could talk to them, imagine their responses, play with them - but you probably kept the ‘relationship’ within certain boundaries, however young you were. In my case, I invented an entire family of siblings – three sisters (two older, one a few years younger) and an older brother who looked out for us girls. Being an only child, I found them comforting, and fun, but I never imagined them to be real. They, in turn, kept themselves firmly lodged in my own mind and never attempted to cross any boundary into the real world. In my novel, The Devil’s Serenade, my central character also had an imaginary family when she was a child

October Frights Blog Hop Day 5

 WHEN AUTUMN ARRIVES   Fall is here. I can smell it.   The air of each season has a certain feel, a certain smell, that defines it. For a long time, I thought this was just a subconscious thing. We know the date and thus the moment you get a cool day at the end of August, you start thinking about fall.  But a few years ago I decided it has to be more than that. There must be some internal mechanism, an interpretation of the data the senses are gathering, that lets a person know change is in the air. Just like you can sense when a storm is coming even if the sky is clear. It happens all the time. You go outside on a beautiful summer day, maybe to check the garden or walk the dog. Fall, Halloween, the end of summer, none of that is on your mind. Yet the moment you step outside, a cool breeze greets you and you instantly think, "Autumn is here." There’s no reason to actually feel this way. The day is warm; that slight chill in the air is just a stray current, same as whe

Women in Horror Month Guest Blogger: Yvonne Navarro

Yvonne Navarro has written more than 20 novels and 100 short stories. Her novel deadrush is recognized as one of the most inventive takes on the zombie myth. She’s won more than 5 writing awards and been nominated for several others. Her short stories are frequently features in annual Year's Best Horror anthologies. She is a font of knowledge about writing, but in today’s blog she’s talking not about the craft of writing, but the life outside it. ====================================== Live in the Moment by Yvonne Navarro             So here I am, having agreed to write a blog (again) and with no concept of what to write about (again).   I’m a writer, so I should write about writing, right?   Please.   I’m one of the Old Ones.   No, I’m not ninety years old (although sometimes I feel like it) and banging this out on an antique Remington typewriter where I hear a ding! and have to use the carriage return lever at the end of every sentence.   But there were