Skip to main content

OCTOBER FRIGHTS BLOG HOP - DAY 4

 

 

 Here we are at Day 4 of the October Frights Blog Hop already. Only 2 more days after this.

 Today my post is about what Halloween means to me, and why I and other horror fanatics enjoy it so much.

Quick Reminder: Visit A.F. Stewart's blog page for all the links to the other bloggers participating in the hop (http://afstewartblog.blogspot.com/), and check out https://tinyurl.com/StoryOriginGiveaways for some cool free reads!

 

Why Do We Love Halloween?

By JG Faherty

 

As a horror writer, it’s kind of expected of me that I’ll be enamored of the Halloween season. And it’s no secret that I am! But I loved Halloween long before I became a writer. Even as a little kid I looked forward to Halloween as much as I did Christmas.

The question is, why?

For a child, the reasons are pretty easy to figure out. Lots of candy. Lots and lots of candy! The chance to dress up in a costume and run around the neighborhood relatively unsupervised (at least back in my day). Halloween was the only cool thing between the end of summer and Christmas, and it was so totally different from all other holidays. Ghouls, wacky parties where you dunked for apples, scary movies on TV every night and in the theaters on weekends. The Great Pumpkin special (which back then they only showed once during the whole month, so you had to stay home and watch it).

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' and other qualms about Halloweenkend  | The Michigan Daily

 

As a teenager, my reasons for liking Halloween were a little different. You had Gate Night (Mischief Night for some of you), and in my neighborhood that was a holiday all to itself. Soap, eggs, rotten tomatoes, flaming dog poo, we did it all. And we still went around and got candy on Halloween, which went well with the beer.

In college and the rest of my twenties, the costumes became the most important part of the night. We constantly tried to outdo each other, and top the previous year. I went as everything from a 7-11 clerk (I bought the actual uniform shirt from the guy who owned the local store) to a Hasidic rabbi; from a pimp to a Jesus on a cross; from an undead ghoul to a Greek god. And the parties we threw! Beer bashes, weekend-long celebrations, theme parties.

When I hit my thirties, things changed. You slow down from the party life. A lot of my friends had kids, and they had to do the trick-or-treat thing. Bars still had costume events, and we did some of them, won a couple of prizes, but it wasn’t the same. I started to think maybe the shine had worn off my favorite holiday.

Then I hit forty, and everything changed. Suddenly Halloween wasn’t just my holiday, it was everyone’s. Adults threw crazy themed house parties. Lawns sprouted decorations to rival Christmas. Stores and catalogs began advertising Halloween in September, and even August. The costume stores displayed a nearly limitless assortment of choices, and what you can’t find there you can get online. There are even costumes for cats and dogs and guinea pigs and iguanas!

 

 Black Cat on My Back Funny Halloween Costume for Dog – Woof Apparel

So, what’s the allure? How has Halloween become ‘the’ holiday for the general population? Why are the same people who once called me weird for being into Halloween as an adult now asking me where they can get a Halloween tree like mine?

My belief is that after all these decades, people are beginning to realize Halloween is like a big pressure valve, a time to release all the stress and anxiety and depression of the year and just let loose, to be a kid again. It has nothing to do anymore with monsters or scary movies, although that element is still prevalent. It’s about putting on a costume and not having to be ‘you’ for a few hours, just being free. That might mean hitting a bar or going to an adult party. It might mean taking the family down to the local haunted house and hayride.

It’s also a time to cast off the yoke of responsibility. You don’t have to care what you look like. You can go incognito to a club and meet a stranger or show your spouse how much you love them by agreeing to dress up as a pair of M&Ms, even though you might prefer being a demon.

And let’s face it. It’s fun! No other holiday is so focused on just relaxing, doing whatever you want, and forgetting the world for a while. Christmas? No, you’ve got church and fancy special meals. Easter? Same thing. Thanksgiving? It’s about the food and football (and Black Friday shopping), and if you don’t like those things you’re out of luck. Labor Day? Strictly BBQ and chill, and it’s only an American holiday. Memorial Day? Solemn event. 4th of July? Same thing. Ramadan? Yom Kippur? Passover? They don’t hold a candle to Halloween’s all-out giddy fun.

The only downside to the growing infatuation with Halloween is that for us die-hard horror fans, it sometimes feels like our favorite day’s been stolen from us. Kind of like when your favorite underground band suddenly gets a record deal. “You’ve gone commercial!”

And it has. Halloween is so acceptable to the masses these days that even my mother buys me skull plates and napkins and my wife gets me Halloween decorations for the house. Every store has Halloween stuff in it. Used to be that only one big Halloween store would open in the mall for the months of September and October; now they pop up everywhere and there are even some permanent ones (Spirit Halloween is everywhere!). Cartoon specials play over and over for the entire month; practically every cable station runs multiple movie marathons. Skulls and bats and witches and ghosts and zombies are everywhere you look, to the point where it just becomes boring after a while – especially when so much of it is either cheap or repetitious.

That’s why each year I try to do something different. Sure, we decorate the house and either throw a Halloween party or go to one (or both, depending on the day!). And I watch movies all month long. I wear all my horror t-shirts. I drink pumpkin spice coffee til I turn into a jack-o-lantern. But I try to add a twist. Sometimes I’ll read scary stories at the local libraries. Or take a road trip to Salem, MA or Sleepy Hollow, NY. Or maybe just head out into the country for some fresh cider and donuts after a long day of pumpkin picking.

And by the time Halloween is approaching, I always feel like a kid again, savoring on a crisp autumn evening before stepping into an old cemetery with my friends.

And that’s what Halloween is all about.

 Foggy Pumpkin Patch (Suavies Island, Oregon) - Imgur

 

Comments

  1. The good thing about Halloween getting big is that it's easier to get cool new decorations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October Frights Blog Hop Day 5

 WHEN AUTUMN ARRIVES   Fall is here. I can smell it.   The air of each season has a certain feel, a certain smell, that defines it. For a long time, I thought this was just a subconscious thing. We know the date and thus the moment you get a cool day at the end of August, you start thinking about fall.  But a few years ago I decided it has to be more than that. There must be some internal mechanism, an interpretation of the data the senses are gathering, that lets a person know change is in the air. Just like you can sense when a storm is coming even if the sky is clear. It happens all the time. You go outside on a beautiful summer day, maybe to check the garden or walk the dog. Fall, Halloween, the end of summer, none of that is on your mind. Yet the moment you step outside, a cool breeze greets you and you instantly think, "Autumn is here." There’s no reason to actually feel this way. The day is warm; that slight chill in the air is just a stray current, same as whe

Friends Unseen

 Catherine Cavendish is the author of  several novels and novellas, including The Devil's Serenade, Dark Avenging Angel, Saving Grace Devine, and The Pendle Curse. Today she's here to talk about some rather unsettling imaginary friends. When you were growing up, did you have an imaginary friend? Did they seem real to you? Maybe sort-of-real. You could talk to them, imagine their responses, play with them - but you probably kept the ‘relationship’ within certain boundaries, however young you were. In my case, I invented an entire family of siblings – three sisters (two older, one a few years younger) and an older brother who looked out for us girls. Being an only child, I found them comforting, and fun, but I never imagined them to be real. They, in turn, kept themselves firmly lodged in my own mind and never attempted to cross any boundary into the real world. In my novel, The Devil’s Serenade, my central character also had an imaginary family when she was a child

Women in Horror Month Guest Blogger: Yvonne Navarro

Yvonne Navarro has written more than 20 novels and 100 short stories. Her novel deadrush is recognized as one of the most inventive takes on the zombie myth. She’s won more than 5 writing awards and been nominated for several others. Her short stories are frequently features in annual Year's Best Horror anthologies. She is a font of knowledge about writing, but in today’s blog she’s talking not about the craft of writing, but the life outside it. ====================================== Live in the Moment by Yvonne Navarro             So here I am, having agreed to write a blog (again) and with no concept of what to write about (again).   I’m a writer, so I should write about writing, right?   Please.   I’m one of the Old Ones.   No, I’m not ninety years old (although sometimes I feel like it) and banging this out on an antique Remington typewriter where I hear a ding! and have to use the carriage return lever at the end of every sentence.   But there were