Skip to main content

VAMPIRES: LOVE & VIOLENCE - guest blog by Nancy Kilpatrick


VAMPIRES: LOVE & VIOLENCE

Nancy Kilpatrick


 Today's blog features a special guest appearance by acclaimed author and editor, Nancy Kilpatrick, who's written more than 20 novels in the horror, supernatural, and paranormal genres, edited 15 anthologies, and been recognized by Fangoria as "Canada's answer to Anne Rice."  She's best known for her vampire novels and short stories, including her latest, Savagery of the Rebel King, which comes out this month. I've been a fan of hers for a long time, and I'm more than happy to have her with us today talking about those sexy, scary creatures of the night, vampires!

 **************
 
I've written and read way more vampire books than any mortal likely should. 

The Undead have always fascinated me. They look like us, and now the modern vampire (unlike their dirtier grave-dwelling ancestors) smells like us. They sit at the next table at chic eateries and on one of the plastic seats at a McDonalds, and they are no longer invisible in mirrors or allergic to crosses and garlic.  As a writer, I love these developments. But, some say, well, if they lose all of these traditional tropes, how can they be scary? Then the Twilight series of sparkling blood drinkers that attend high-school after hundreds of years of existence pops into the discussion and many lovers of vampire fiction say Feh! and move on to zombies.  

Because I've read a lot (2,500 vampire novels and counting), I think I have a fairly good idea of where the vampire has been and where he/she/it is going in literature. As an editor, I tried to address that in two anthologies: Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead, and the sequel Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the future Undead, both of which include stories by writers who got it, with wonderful tales of how the vampire has changed and might be changing in future, just as we mortals do! 

In my own vampire fiction, I've leaned towards the superior species perspective. I've always been annoyed that in some books and films the vampire is too easily dispatched. To live 100, 500, 1,000 years and still not know how to defend oneself makes a character stupid in my view. I never wanted to go for stupid; too often that is the easy way out. We've all read or viewed novels and films where the complications are wondrously presented throughout and yet the resolution is slip-shod and disappointing.

The steps away from Victorian ambiguity to the full-blossoming erotic encounters between immortals and mortals has also intrigued me. The new vampire is so much like us and what we humans seem to prefer: young, intelligent, attractive, suave, mesmerizing—did I forget to mention sexy?—what's not to fall for?

But if they are so appealing (and this is where Twilight comes in—btw, a young adult series which should be seen in that light), doesn't this diminish the fear factor? AKA The Good Boyfriend/Girlfriend Books, there is little frightening about most YA Nosferatu. The fear seems rooted in a youthful virgin's sexual awakening push-pull towards the opposite gender. 

I like to call my Thrones of Blood series: Vampire Books for Adults!  Why? Because amidst two large overarching series plots where those macrocosm plots develop within the individual microcosm plots of each novel, the enmity between vampire and human societies leads to violence, and sex, and sexual violence, all of it precipitated by interspecies relationships that go against the grain. 
 
I also like to say—over and over it seems—VAMPIRES ARE NOT HUMAN! (sorry for shouting!) Their inhumanity makes them interesting because like every species on this planet, they have their own agenda, which isn't our agenda. They are Other, and Other in fiction is usually  captivating...and often dangerous!

Thrones of Blood is a six-book series. Four are out so far in ebook and print, found, well, everyone knows where, as in, the usual places:
- Revenge of the Vampir King (Vol 1)
- Sacrifice of the Hybrid Princess (Vol 2)
- Abduction of Two Rules (Vol 3)
- Savagery of the Rebel King (Vol 4) (ebook just out, print to follow by the end of Feb.)
And coming in 2020/2021:
- Anguish of the Sapiens Queen (Vol 5)
- Imperilment of the Hybrids (Vol 6)

If you love vampires, maybe you'll give my series a chance to show you how they have evolved along with us while retaining their ability to terrorize within an alternate reality world, which I guess is always the world in which the Undead dwell. 

 ****************
 
Nancy Kilpatrick is an award-winning writer and editor. She has published 21 novels, 1 non-fiction book, more than 220 short stories, and 6 collections of her short fiction, comic books, a graphic novel, and she has edited 15 anthologies. Her work has been translated into 7 languages. She is the recipient of the Arthur Ellis Award and has been a finalist for numerous Bram Stoker and Aurora awards. You can follow her at https://nancykilpatrick.com/, https://www.facebook.com/nancy.kilpatrick.31, and https://twitter.com/nancykwriter.













Comments

  1. Have you heard about programmed ATM card? I have my ATM card, already programmed BY Mr Perry Thomas. It is illegal but nice to have one not like other scammers pretending to have the ATM card. The ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and online purchase. Get yours today by sending an email to perrythomas827@gmail.com .... THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THESE. HACKERS EMAIL: perrythomas827@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard about programmed ATM card? I have my ATM card, already programmed BY Mr Perry Thomas. It is illegal but nice to have one not like other scammers pretending to have the ATM card. The ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and online purchase. Get yours today by sending an email to perrythomas827@gmail.com .... THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THESE. HACKERS EMAIL: perrythomas827@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Day, Do You Want To Be A Vampire? Been A Vampire Will Make You Make Stronger. Think Faster. World Famous Will Never Experience Suffering Anymore In Your Life. Can Never Be Oppressed By Anyone Above All You Will Live Very Long on Earth And Be Protected All Through Your Life. For More Info About Been A Vampire & If You Interested On Been A Vampire Kindly Contact This Email Contact Me: realvampirekingdom1@gmail.com or on whatsapp +13656594152

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO YOU WISH TO BE A VAMPIRE OR YOU WANT YOUR OWN POWERS AND PROTECTION COME AND BE AMONG THE VAMPIRES TODAY AND YOU GET WHAT EVER YOU NEED OKAY CONTACT OUR Master ON HIS EMAIL

    realvampirekingdom1@gmail.com 0r whatsapp number +13656594152

    AND HE WILL HELP YOU OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to ( New-World Vampire Kingdom). Do you want to be a vampire,still in human,having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten mines time to a human again, with out delaying in a good human posture. A world of vampire where life get easier,we have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich,you will assured long life and prosperity,you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness,stronger and also very fast,you will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, this is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture.if you are interested contact us on vampireworld777@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Day,
      Do You Want To Be A Vampire?
      Been A Vampire Will Make You
      • Make Stronger.
      • Think Faster.
      • World Famous
      • Will Never Experience Suffering Anymore In Your Life.
      • Can Never Be Oppressed By Anyone
      • Above All You Will Live Very Long on Earth And Be Protected All Through Your Life.

      For More Info About Been A Vampire & If You Interested On Been A Vampire Kindly Contact This Email
      Contact Me: realvampirekingdom1@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Day, Do You Want To Be A Vampire? Been A Vampire Will Make You Stronger. Think Faster. World Famous Will Never Experience Suffering Anymore In Your Life. Can Never Be Oppressed By Anyone Above All You Will Live Very Long on Earth And Be Protected All Through Your Life. For More Info About Been A Vampire & If You Interested On Been A Vampire Kindly Contact This Email Contact Me: realvampirekingdom1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. Are you in financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills? I got mine from Mike Fisher. My blank ATM card can withdraw $2,000 daily. I got it from Him last week and now I have $14,000 for free. The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on .*email: int.hackers002@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never met any hacker as discreet and fast like this WIZARD BRIXTON Hacker. He’s called BRIXTON and he has helped me in multiple ways first was when my ex wife cheated on me and now he’s helping me paying my credit cards debts plus he helped me gain access to my spouse phone remotely and I was able to use that against her in court. I must say he’s the best at what he do and I recommend him to the world. Email; Wizardbrixton at gmailDOTcom , you can be sure to thank me later. I will keep on telling the world that he’s the best out there, I am very thankful because he gave me and my kids a second chance .Are you interested in the service of a hacker to get into a phone, Facebook account, snapchat, Instagram, yahoo, WhatsApp, get verified on any social network account, increase your followers by any amount, bank wire and bank transfer. Contact him on WIZARDBRIXTON@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October Frights Blog Hop Day 5

 WHEN AUTUMN ARRIVES   Fall is here. I can smell it.   The air of each season has a certain feel, a certain smell, that defines it. For a long time, I thought this was just a subconscious thing. We know the date and thus the moment you get a cool day at the end of August, you start thinking about fall.  But a few years ago I decided it has to be more than that. There must be some internal mechanism, an interpretation of the data the senses are gathering, that lets a person know change is in the air. Just like you can sense when a storm is coming even if the sky is clear. It happens all the time. You go outside on a beautiful summer day, maybe to check the garden or walk the dog. Fall, Halloween, the end of summer, none of that is on your mind. Yet the moment you step outside, a cool breeze greets you and you instantly think, "Autumn is here." There’s no reason to actually feel this way. The day is warm; that slight chill in the air is just a stray current, same as whe

Women in Horror Month Guest Blogger: Yvonne Navarro

Yvonne Navarro has written more than 20 novels and 100 short stories. Her novel deadrush is recognized as one of the most inventive takes on the zombie myth. She’s won more than 5 writing awards and been nominated for several others. Her short stories are frequently features in annual Year's Best Horror anthologies. She is a font of knowledge about writing, but in today’s blog she’s talking not about the craft of writing, but the life outside it. ====================================== Live in the Moment by Yvonne Navarro             So here I am, having agreed to write a blog (again) and with no concept of what to write about (again).   I’m a writer, so I should write about writing, right?   Please.   I’m one of the Old Ones.   No, I’m not ninety years old (although sometimes I feel like it) and banging this out on an antique Remington typewriter where I hear a ding! and have to use the carriage return lever at the end of every sentence.   But there were

Friends Unseen

 Catherine Cavendish is the author of  several novels and novellas, including The Devil's Serenade, Dark Avenging Angel, Saving Grace Devine, and The Pendle Curse. Today she's here to talk about some rather unsettling imaginary friends. When you were growing up, did you have an imaginary friend? Did they seem real to you? Maybe sort-of-real. You could talk to them, imagine their responses, play with them - but you probably kept the ‘relationship’ within certain boundaries, however young you were. In my case, I invented an entire family of siblings – three sisters (two older, one a few years younger) and an older brother who looked out for us girls. Being an only child, I found them comforting, and fun, but I never imagined them to be real. They, in turn, kept themselves firmly lodged in my own mind and never attempted to cross any boundary into the real world. In my novel, The Devil’s Serenade, my central character also had an imaginary family when she was a child